Tuesday, June 29, 2010

D&D Encounters, Season Two, Encounter 1-3

I guess, since Encounter 1-4 is coming up tomorrow, now's a good time to write my post about 1-3. ;)

I don't have a huge amount to say about this one. The most important thing is that Jarvis thought those were some damn good fruits! Basically, we found a fruit-bearing tree in a canyon, and brave Yuka was the first to eat some. After assuring us that they were quite tasty and he didn't feel sick immediately, Jarvix started eating some as well. Upon realizing just how tasty they were, he immediately tuned his finely-honed psychic senses into the fruit, convinced that they must have some intelligence to be soooo tasty. Unfortunately, he was overcome with a wave of nausea, and found himself unable to do much of anything other than contemplate fruit for a while. As it turns out, the nausea had nothing to do with the fruit; he had been hit with a Confounding Curse from one of the curse-spewing goblins that had been camped out on the rocks around the tree! He was able to get a couple Mind Thrusts out, but in the end, decided he'd rather just take a nap.

OK, in all seriousness (or at least, some seriousness), here's what actually happened. After eating a bit of fruit, we "discovered" the goblins that were camped out on the rocks surrounding the area. I rolled a 1 for my Initiative, and Jarvix does not have an Initiative modifier. In the first round of combat, I was hit by a Confounding Curse (really quite a cool ability, activated by the goblin cutting his arm and flinging fresh blood in the PC's direction) that basically made me miss my first turn. So I didn't act at all until the 2nd or 3rd round of combat (I don't remember if I was hit with another Confounding Curse right after that first one or not), and, of course, not until the very end of that round, due to my Initiative (or lack thereof). I was able to use my Infernal Wrath ability, though, which was kinda cool. It can be targeted against any enemy who had hit me since my previous turn, and gives me a bonus to my attack roll, plus a damage bonus, if the attack hits. I also decided to use my Action Point to spend my Second Wind. Exciting use of an Action Point, right? Despite that, I was still knocked unconscious, revived, then knocked unconscious again. I'm a bit worried for Jarvix's future, given that I'll be entering Encounter 1-4 with only 10/22 hit points and no healing surges left ...

Anyway, kudos to Maiki for another great game, and kudos to my fellow players for not letting Maiki get a TPK two nights in a row!

1 comment:

Baron von Chop said...

I'm a bit worried about Jarvix, too. We have two more encounters to go, and with no more healing surges, we may have to haul your dried-up carcass across the finish line on a stretcher.