Tuesday, June 22, 2010

D&D Encounters, Season Two, Encounter 1-2

So I guess I've been slacking a bit. The game was last Wednesday, the next game is tomorrow, and I'm just now writing a post about last week's encounter. LOL. Anyway, I quite enjoyed myself, although I think Jarvix enjoyed himself less than Encounter 1-1. My dice weren't cooperating nearly as much this time around. I was only able to hit and do damage once or twice, as opposed to Encounter 1-1, when I think I got more kills than the rest of the party combined. ;) Anyway, this encounter began with the mysterious appearance of a fire elemental, who told us that he didn't know anything about the sand storm (other than that the obsidian shards were extremely rare, since he has not seen anything like it in over 1000 years on Athas), he didn't know anything about the lizard men who attacked us in Encounter 1-1, and he couldn't really do anything to help us get to Tyr. I suspect there were some questions that WotC expected us to ask that we did not, but oh well. LOL. So it goes.

Anyway, after he disappeared, we were ambushed by kanks, which are basically giant beetles. There were two varieties - big ones and acid-spitting ones. Those of us who could do decent damage tried to focus on the big ones, but I was hit by acid spat from one of the smaller ones. That wouldn't normally seem too bad; it's only 2 damage immediately, and then 5 ongoing. However, I failed either 4 or 5 saving throws in a row, including a couple extra ones that weren't even on my turn (another character has abilities that allow additional saving throws, etc.). Eventually, the DM told me that the acid had basically burned away. While other people who got hit and made their saving throws were wiping the acid off themselves, etc., Jarvix wasn't phased at all by being burned away. He just kept on doing whatever he was going to do, and eventually the acid burnt through everything it was going to burn through. I'm pretty sure that was just the DM being nice to me; I don't think there are any rules about ongoing acid damage expiring or anything. LOL. I'm not going to complain, though!

Anyway, I'm a bit worried about Jarvix's future ... I didn't take any damage at all in Encounter 1-1, but at the end of 1-2, I used 4 of my 6 healing surges to get back up to full health. I'm a bit nervous about only having two more healing surges to last through 3 encounters! We'll see what happens.

Anyway, the final thing I wanted to mention is that the Lord Admiral shared a quite memorable and enjoyable moment from the game in his blog posting, so I would encourage you all to read that!

2 comments:

Baron von Chop said...

One thing that I forgot to mention in my post is that Shikirr was making saving throws like nobody's business. Acid? Slid right off. Poison? Passed right through him like a bad burrito.

Too bad Jarvix wasn't quite as lucky...

Kyle said...

I'm glad Jarvix didn't get poisoned; I don't know if he could have handled being dissolved by acid and puking simultaneously!